Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blue Sky July

I just finished reading Blue Sky July by Nia Wyn.  Amazing and wonderful!!  This book began as Nia's diary after her son is diagnosed with severe cerebral palsy.  She will stop at nothing to find a cure for her child although she has been told he will "never know her".  This story is about a mother's unconditional love for her child that will never be fully accepted by others.  The book is painfully beautiful and poetic.  Here is an excerpt...

"As we pass the running children who hold up their heads so easily, I realize miracles are so commonplace we barely recognize them anymore, and near the mothers anxiously comparing milestones at the school gate, I see how we live in a time where normal is never enough and we are never full." 

If you have a child with special needs, this book is a must read.  If you don't, read it anyway...then maybe you can better understand the mother of the child in the wheelchair.  You won't regret it.




7 comments:

Ellen Seidman said...

Thank you so much for this, I am going to get it. The book I just picked up about cerebral palsy is so...dull. This sounds inspiring.

AZ Chapman said...

sounds good

Jackie said...

thanks Jacolyn - can I borrow your book?

Holly said...

You would not believe..last night Eric and I were laying in bed and I told him that I needed to go get an insprational book about CP that has a great ending...a happy ending.

I checked your blog this morning and looky here! I ran down to our B&N and bought it. I'll be reading it on my trip. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the coffee. I had a great time!

Cary said...

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to read it.

Erin said...

Ordered it on Amazon the other day after Billie's recommendation. Plan to read it on the 14+ (ugh) hour flight to Shanghai.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I skimmed through your blog and I have to say, your triplets are very cute. :) I am part of a set of BBG triplets, and we're 15 now.

I feel connected to your daughter Grace because I have Cerebral Palsy too--mine is Spastic Diplegic. Doctors told my parents that I would never walk, but I proved them wrong. I always say that I can do whatever my brothers do, it just takes me a little longer--and it's true.

I don't do sports for obvious reasons (although I do have physical therapy 1 time a week. I've had this since I was 6 months old), so I have more time to focus on my school work. I take the same classes as my brothers and I get very good grades. I bet Grace will be the same way!

I had heel-cord lengthening surgery at 2 1/2, and it helped me walk. My parents say it was the best thing they ever did for me. They were trying to decide between that and Botox injections.

Whatever route you choose, I hope it all goes well! Grace is such an inspiring little girl. I'll pray for you and your family. :)