Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Martha and Mary

Yesterday was one of those days.  We were potty training (I'm embarrassed to admit that we are still not potty trained), we had two appointments scheduled for the day and Mack and Sophie were already fighting at 8:00 am.  Around 9:30 I called and canceled Mack's speech therapy and Grace's physical therapy.  The sitter showed up at 10:00 and I left the house and her with all three kids.  I had hit a wall.  I had nothing left.  I couldn't do another appointment, clean up any more pee pee or put anyone else in time-out.  Of course, with this came the guilt...guilt about canceling the appointments, guilt that my kids are still in diapers, guilt that my house is still a mess, guilt that I just can't do enough.

That afternoon when I was home, the doorbell rang and a package was left on our porch.  What could it be?  I hadn't ordered anything.  Maybe it was a late birthday gift for the kids.  Much to my surprise it was a book for me!!  Another mom, that I have never met, that has triplets the same age as my three, one of which has CP had sent me a book.   The book is called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World  - Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life.  Had she read my mind?  Did she know I needed more time with God?  Maybe...but I think it was a God thing.  I think God wanted more time with me.  This morning I took my book and had some quiet time with God.  Thank you Jo.  Thank you God.   

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls"  Matthew 11:28-29

9 comments:

Mel said...

What a great friend you have! I think I need to read it;)

KiddoKare1 said...

Try not to feel bad about the potty training. They'll get it. You're always in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself!

Jackie said...

You are an awesome EXHAUSTED mom. Give yourself some grace. I only stay for 2 hours & they wear me out. And re: potty training... I've yet to see a kindergartner start in diapers... It will happen! love, J

Anonymous said...

I have done this study with the ladies in a Bible Study class and you will LOVE IT! I reference it from time to time for a refresher and it is so true and hits home so hard! Please keep me posted on what you think. I LOVE THE STUDY!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to all moms - including those of us that have only one (teenager) at home. We often feel that we do not do enough for our families and that there is just not enough time in the day. Take time for yourself. This book sounds awesome and I plan to get it. God's grace is sufficient. Love, Rolanda

Justinich Family said...

That is so awesome that the book came right when you needed it. Don't feel bad about needing to cancel therapy and get away from the kids. I took a whole weekend away from Evan and I will have to say that it has left me refreshed and ready to enjoy my little boy again. Next time I think I need to take time away from the whole family or just time for hubby and me. And my son is going to be 4 and I do not see potty training before he turns 5, it may even be after that.

The Morgan Mommy said...

What a nice surprise! Hang in there, my platter isn't nearly as full and my kids aren't trained (and they are a little older)

Oh, I could go on .....

:)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I don't know how to ask for help...from God or from others. Sometimes help just comes along...from God or from others. Bobby