Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Decisions...Decisions

There are only more decisions now to be made about Grace's therapy and equipment.

We are now attending yet another therapy we can't afford but I'm very excited about. Last week we had an evaluation at Equest for Hippotherapy. I was so impressed with the PT and her assessment of Grace. We are now going to be going on Thursdays. I can't wait!!

E Stim vs. Botox....We were scheduled to do another round of Botox this month but after hearing about Electrical Stimulation, and having it recommended by the PT at Equest, we have delayed Botox for the time being. I hope to learn more about E Stim on Thursday. Don't know the cost but I'm sure insurance doesn't cover it. UGHHHHH!!!!

AFOs vs. Piedro Orthodic Shoes. There are two different trains of thought on this. Our PT wants us to use AFOs and the CE conductor thinks that the orthodic shoes would be better for Grace. Insurance doesn't pay but about $200 for the $2,000 AFOs and doesn't pay anything for the $250 Piedros.

Ok, my head is swimming and I'm really tired, so if you have an epiphanies on these subjects, let me know. I will give you more details on everything later...I'm going to bed now. I'll leave you with a cute photo of Mack and Kathryn on the Plasma Car. I think she likes it even more than the kids do.

3 comments:

Mel said...

I've never heard of the Electrical Stimulation. I will have to ask about that tomorrow at PT. We are doing Botox again this week. I hope its the right thing...

We love Hippotherapy! I just wish we had somewhere close. There isn't anything within 1 1/2 hours.

Awww... the pic is adorable!

Jackie said...

I know I am simplifying this but if the $250 shoes are recommended by someone you respect & they are $250 vs. $1800 for the others? Buy the $250

And I KNOW the equestrian therapy is going to do GREAT things for Gracie... I just feel it. Go for it - God will provide.

And I KNOW Kat loves it MORE than the kids

And the last thing I KNOW? You are very tired sweet girl. Climb up in Jesus' lamp and rest your head on His shoulder... Remember? love, J

BusyLizzyMom said...

You have made so many good decisions based on your research in the past I am sure you will make the right decisions. As for AFO's vs Piedro shoes if Grace has tight heelcords of difficulites with balance or stabilization then I would stick with the AFO's. We were looking at Piedro shoes for Elizabeth but she is still not ready for them, she still needs a lot of support. I just wouldn't want you to lose any range for Grace. Could you get Grace the ones that Billie has for H&E they are less costly.
It is hard having all the burden of what to do and the fear about making the wrong decision. That is what I love about our CP chat group I can make informed decisions based on others successes.