Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hello 9-1-1

Monday afternoon we were playing with our friend Evie in the backyard. Four 4-years olds and lots of fun. The kids were pretending to make food with sticks, leaves, flowers and various nuts berries. I was helping them gather the "goods". They made a beautiful spaghetti soup and we called it a day so I could go in and make a real dinner. The kids were watching television quietly and then I hear Mack say "help me, help me". Not being a mom that jumps to the worst conclusion automatically, I calmly picked him up and started talking to him. He then started shaking and turning blue and was really warm. He said his tummy hurt and after asking, I discovered that he had been eating the flowers and berries that I specifically told them NOT TO EAT! THEN I panicked and called 9-1-1. The paramedics came and the neighbors came running over. Needless to say, all is well now and we don't know exactly what happened because the paramedics said he would need to ingest a large amount of berries to get really sick...maybe it was the pecans...and he never threw up. I slept (didn't sleep) with Mack that night and just made sure he was breathing every few minutes. Our first 9-1-1 call and hopefully our last.

The Famous Spaghetti Soup

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh because when my son was 3 he ate some of those berries too.(He thought they were tomatoes)I was so worried I called the Dr. and the poison control and everyone I knew for help. They said he would be fine but give him some of that syrup that makes them throw up. I kept asking him if he needed to throw up and he said NO. A few minutes later he ran out of his room and into the bathroom throwing up. It was scary and sad at that time but 16 years later it made me laugh.